Untruths from a Credit Union

We expect that people at Credit Unions should tell customers and the general public the truth, right? I mean, really, we should expect that. Credit unions are supposed to be member-owned banks. So, why are they lying like the banks from the 1950's?
By now, you're wondering what I'm belly-aching about. Well, I had a few run-ins with a certain credit union and a policy that is clearly a policy, but they insist is "The Law" ~ the Patriot Act, to be exact. Now, I know that the regulations that any particular bank or credit union comes up with is their choice. I know that there are provisions in the Patriot Act that pertain to banking operations. Absolutely! Do your best to stop crimes from happening through our banking systems. But, when asked, WHY you are asking for my ID and Social Security number, when I'm only depositing into someone's account, at their request, then tell me it new policy. Do Not Lie and tell me it's the law!
Is it against the law for a financial institution to misrepresent themselves in this regard?
I'm still waiting on that bit of information.
Does this misrepresentation of policy show lack of respect for the general public?
Absolutely.
Is this lie, explained to me in an email citing our proximity to the border as just cause for the policy as a way to deter money laundering, justified?
No! Again, all that needed to be explained is this is a new policy that other banks and credit unions chose to create, and this credit union decided to join.
So, why, then, does the CEO and other administrators have such difficulties in answering my simple question? The question I originally posed in my email to them was, basically, "Why are you misrepresenting  policy as law?
I was given explanations about the Patriot Act, an organization's policy accepted by other credit unions, etc., but nothing about the lie.
So, I have to ask you. If a business or institution is ready to lie about something they don't need to lie about, how far would you trust them?
Remember, that your money is yours. You need to ask the institution as many questions about their policies, as possible.
Ask them if someone else can deposit cash into the account, without you being there. Imagine you're sick at home and need to deposit. Who can do that for you?
If they say, "No." Ask why.
If they say, "The Patriot Act", then you should know, they are lying.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Alternative Certification and Teaching away from home

Ransom in Texas